Review: The Battle of Hackham Heath

The Battle of Hackham Heath The Battle of Hackham Heath by John Flanagan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Excellent and fascinating prequel to The Ruins of Gorlan! It gives the entire series more perspective and background. The only thing that is keeping me from giving it five stars is that it was a little slow for several chapters. Especially between the battles, John Flanagan seemed to be having a hard time with keeping the book moving along, something I didn't notice in the original Ranger's Apprentice series. Also, I admire Mr. Flanagan for doing an amazing job with making all the time/dates/facts to match up with the rest of the series, which is an incredibly hard task! However, in the The Lost Stories, I took it that Will's father, Daniel, was killed at the Battle of Hackam Heath, whereas in The Battle of Hackham Heath, it seemed to me that he was killed in a skirmish after the battle. Maybe I'm just being picky or maybe I didn't read the story carefully enough, but something didn't quite seem to match up. Other than that, it was a great book and I truly enjoyed it!

View all my reviews

Popular posts from this blog

The Tenth Region of the Night: Sword and Serpent Book II Review

Goals and Birthdays

B-25 Bombers!!!